‘How to lose weight quickly’ a question that many of us have asked ourselves a few weeks before the neighbour’s bbq party or that wedding you thought was months away.
The internet is home to many sites and videos of people explaining how to lose weight quickly, many we have all tried and failed.
Fad diets are everywhere all claiming to know the secret to losing our love handles, belly wobbles, jiggly legs and thighs. With most of these diets you do lose weight quickly – until it all leads to that infamous midnight binge which piles on the weight plus an extra 5 pounds for good measure.
But what if I could tell you that there IS a dieting method out there that NOT ONLY helps you lose weight quickly, but can actually improve your overall health in a multitude of ways. Peaked your interest yet? Then keep on reading!
There are 3 different methods of weight loss I will be discussing in this article:
- The Ketogenic Diet – my recommendation; the safest and longer lasting of all three. It has personally helped me lose so much weight in a short amount of time without feeling hungry or spending hours at the gym. Countless people have lost 100s of pounds collectively using this diet.
2. Intermittent fasting. (outlined below)
3. Prolonged Fasting. (outlined below)
Fasting type 1: Intermittent fasting (IF)
Intermittent fasting has, believe it or not, been around for generations – we probably just didn’t know we were doing it.
It is probably the most flexible diet out there, and has gained HUGE interest in the celebrity world in recent years. It doesn’t require any money – or eating in fact.
All you have to do is go a few hours a day without eating! And before you start screaming at your screens saying that I’m promoting starvation; Stick with me – your body is DESIGNED to go without food for periods of time. Think of when you’re sleeping! It not only helps you lose weight quickly, but it detoxifies your body too.
Types of IF:
->The 5:2 method : fasting for 2 days in the week. If fasting for 2 days a week is too much, try limiting your calories to under 500 for those two days. The other days in the week you can eat what you want.
->The 16/8 method: Eating within an 8 hour ‘window’, the other 16 hours you’re fasting.
->The 20/4 method: Eating within a 4 hour ‘window’, the other 20 hours you’re fasting.
->The OMAD diet aka 23/1 method: Eating within a 1 hour ‘window’, the other 23 hours you’re fasting.
->Alternate day fasting: Eating every second day.
These are the most popular IF eating-fasting schedules. The diet is entirely flexible so feel free to arrange it whatever way you want – just as long as you incorporate the fasting into it!
Fasting type 2: Prolonged fasting (PF)
If you’re really looking to burn fat and want a challenge then Prolonged Fasting is your answer.
A prolonged fast is as the name insinuates; a ‘long’ fast. This type of fasting definitely requires some discipline.
And as a caution, I would consult your doctor before trying it.
A prolonged fast is typically a fast that goes on longer than 48hrs.
It is still unfortunately a very controversial type of ‘diet’ at the moment, mainly because people believe you will die if you go without food for longer than a day.
This is completely false. Fasting has been around for thousands of years simply because some of our ancestors couldn’t find enough food to feed themselves everyday.
Even when food became more and more accessible in societies we still managed to keep fasting alive within religions like Christianity and Islam, so it has to be said that 1000s of years ago people knew about the benefits of fasting before it was ever proven by modern medicine.
The human body is an amazing engine, it knows how to survive. And, incredibly, giving your body a rest from food for a few days can actually lead to brain cell regrowth, activate autophagy which is our bodies method of renewing and clearing out old cells (including cancerous cells) and increase the body’s natural antioxidants.
It’s as if the body is repairing itself because it has time to do so. Amazing huh?
- It’s important you don’t just jump into a prolonged fast straight away, make sure you gradually increase your fasting window until you’re comfortable enough doing a PF.
- If you have any heart problems or health related problem, or are on any medication, pregnant or breastfeeding make sure you consult your doctor first.
- Keep hydrated.
- Keeping exercise to a minimal when doing prolonged fasting.
- Take Electrolytes – put a grain of pink Himalayan salt under tongue and let it dissolve. Do this every day for as long as you are fasting.
- Be careful of what you eat coming OFF a fast. Make sure you limit your carb intake – check out my other post on what the Ketogenic Diet is.
I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey! If you have any questions at all, feel free to comment down below! 🙂